The Power of Redesign!

Growing, Sewing and Moving Forward!

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Relaxing in Goa



Vineeta and I left Ahmedabad on December 31st for Goa (small state in the south once a Portuguese colony and a big beach resort place for travelers from around the globe). We packed up our things and said our final goodbyes before Sunil took us to the airport.
We landed in Goa around 3pm and arrived at our hotel at 4pm. The ride from the airport to the hotel was about 1 hour. This third world paradise is a mixture of tropical plants and scenic water ways with poverty stricken people begging on the streets and anorexic cows eating trash along
the road. Not the most appetizing combination of things, but hey, it's India.
Our hotel was seculded as it was set back off the main highway and there were no other resorts in sight. The Marina Bay Beach resort was finished only in October 2006 and consisted of two buildings with 6 rooms each and a small restaurant. The owners were an odd couple (him - early 60s and British, her - late 30s and Malaysian), but friendly. Vineeta and I were pleased to find that the other girls we were meeting there were out for lunch and we were able to unpack and unwind before the New Years Eve mayhem began.
We decided to go to an outdoor club called Tito's. A group of about 15 of us loaded up in taxi's and drove to Baga Beach, the party headquarters of Goa. The outdoor atmosphere was really nice as we all danced 2006 away and welcomed 2007.
The next day was uneventful for me as I was experiencing the worst migraine of my life. The 20 degree temperature change between Ahmedabad and Goa didn't agree with me and I ended up spending New Years day in bed sick. I was really lucky to have Vineeta by my side taking care of me.
On the 2nd, I officially separated from the girls and acquired my own accommodations in Anjuna, about a 30 minute drive north of where Vineeta and the bridal party were staying for the next couple of days. This didn't prevent me from venturing out with them. We went down to the beach one day for water sports (jet ski, inner tube, banana boat - 6 people on a "banana" shaped floating device that is pulled by a power boat) and the infamous Anjuna flea market known for it's handcrafts and bargaining.
I did spend some time on my own in the small town known for it's beach party/drug scene. I treated myself to some spa treatments, sat in the sun and chatted with the locals, read and wrote in my journal, and prepared myself for the craziness that I knew would be the Indian Hindu Wedding.


Pictures - added in Malaysia - I know I'm slow!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Viktoria said...

again...sounds amazing! i can't wait to see pictures of your whole trip whenever that will be. maybe when i see you next.

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home