The Power of Redesign!

Growing, Sewing and Moving Forward!

Monday, October 02, 2006

Bratislava

No catchy title, because it was a less then catchy city. Getting there was a bit of a headache as I had to go back through Vienna and get to a different train station, not to mention the weird people at the Bratislava station who try to convince you to stay in their homes.

Let's clarify one thing. I don't like scary movies, so before deciding to go to Bratislava, I had no idea that the horror film "Hostel" was set there. In fact, I learned about that in the hostel common room while posting my reports on Prague and Austria.

Well, like Prague most of the important historical things to see are located in the "Stare Mesto" or old town. There are a couple of churches, small museums, palaces and the like with tons of over priced cafes and ice cream shops in between. The government's done a good job of putting up directional signs in English and German to
direct travelers so finding things on one's own is not that difficult.

Most of my time in the city was spent at this one pub - 1 Slovak Pub, which is a student hangout. They even have specials on the menu for students who bring in "A" papers or exams. I actually saw this one happen. It's a pretty significant discount, a whole 50 cents, but when your meal costs 2.30, it counts. The first couple of times I went to the 1 Slovak by myself and quickly learned that Slovak men are not intimidated by the fact that neither of us speak the same language. Within minutes of sitting down, some guy would be at my table, drink in hand. I let them talk for about a minute or so before letting them know that I in fact was not a country woman and would not be partaking in their ritual. But unlike everywhere else in Europe, these men persisted and some even tried to use the waiters as translators. This is when the wedding ring I picked up in Chico becomes especially handy. I soon learned that putting my mug of beer to my lips and then holding up my left hand was the best defense.

After learning the sad fact of not being able to go to the cheapest and tastiest place in town alone, I started recruiting hostel goers to join me for a pint or 3. It became our own ritual and so most of my time ended up being with a group of regulars from the hostel with cheap and relatively tasteless Slovak beer and various dishes stuffed with potatoes and bacon.

Three days of drinking and saying my life story over and over again to new additions to the group, I left Bratislava rather underwhelmed, but glad that I went.


The Stunning Bratislava Castle


The Novy Most (New Bridge) over the Danube - designed by the Commies back in the '70s

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, just wanted tg say that hostel is a crap movie and it has nothing to dowith bratislava or slovakia, they just picked it because not many people know about this small country. Europe is MUCH safer than america, people are more relaxed and friendly and that is particularly true of Bratislava.

Holywood creates these crappy movies to sell tickets and because they are so desperate for making money through people's ignorance or fear or prejudice but ideally all three.

Bratislava is in particular is delightful affordable and friendly. It has history and its a mini Vienna in places.

Dont buy the sick fantasies of holywood morons that are going film anything that makes a buck and they would sell their mother for box office success.

greetings from europe. An infinitely happier and more secure place than the USA.

Also check out rental accommodation pics in bratislava
www.flickr.com/photos/zuzanavrbova/sets/

11:10 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

Jagshemash. I would like comment on recent advertisements on Catherine’s blog about nation of Bratislava, saying that people are relaxed and friendly, and safer than the U, S, and A – these are disgusting fabrications. These claims are part of a propoganda campaign against Bratislava by evil nitwits Uzbekistan – who as we all know are a very nosey people, with a bone in the middle of their brain. Chenquieh.

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous-- Not all Americans think that everything in the movies is true. And we don't let crappy horror movies shape our views of places we've never been. Give me a break.

Quit spamming people's blogs. There are better ways to advertise your rentals. Insulting Americans on their personal blogs is not one of them. I've lived in Eastern Europe, and while Europe is a happy and secure place, to say that it is "infinitely" moreso is condescending and rude.

-- Sarah, friend of Catherine and defender of non-idiotic travelers everywhere

2:45 PM  
Blogger Christie said...

Wow Catherine - you've managed to generate some hype! Don't worry about the ill-informed anonymous comments' and propaganda - blogs are for exressing your impressions about a place (as for me, having my wallet stolen in Vienna, I have certain impressions about THAT city as well). Anyway, hoping you will post more again soon!

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home